Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tyler State Park


My parents went Thursday to Tyler State Park to camp out for a few days. Okay, let me just tell you that your version of camping out and their version of camping out are most likely completely different. First of all, they have a 5th wheel travel trailer that has stairs and a fire place. Yes, it's fake, but it's still a fire place. It's one of those that you just push a button and instantly you have flames and heat. It cracks me up. Then, of course, they have to have satellite TV. My dad bought an extra Dish to take when they go camping. That cracks me up, too. But the thing that makes me laugh the most about my parents style of camping is that when I got there I asked my mom what she had been up to and she said, "Oh, just finished a load of laundry." HAHA! Yes, they have a washer and dryer in a TRAVEL TRAILER!!! I still can't believe they have these things. They could live out of this trailer and be completely happy. I wouldn't be surprised some day if this is what they do because they LOVE camping so much!!!

My parents invited us out a few days ago but I wasn't sure if we would be able to go. Morgan worked until noon and then he was also on call for work. Luckily, it's not the super busy time of the year...YET...SO we really didn't have much to worry about. Tyler is about 2hrs and 15 min away from our house so if he got a call, he would kind of be "screwed" for a lack of a better word. Anyway, I didn't think we should go. I thought it was too chilly and windy. I thought Morgan would agree with me because I didn't think he'd be in the mood for driving that much in one day after just finishing working 6 days in a row. But, he wanted to go so I agreed.

I am so glad we went. We had a wonderful time! Despite us fighting...if that's what you want to call it...on the way down there because Morgan likes to take the back way every where and that drives me crazy. I'd rather just get on central expressway to 20 and be done with it. Nope, we've got to take the scenic route which included MANY stop lights, slow speeds, and construction, ugh! Seriously, we don't fight unless we're in the car. We finally get there and hang out for a while. Then I decided it would be a good idea to take a walk around the lake. That sounds like a pretty short trip, but it's about 2 miles and it was really cold. I had fun, though. It was a nice little work out with a beautiful view!!! We then came back and chilled out with my parents and had dinner. Let me just say, once again, I have the BEST dad on the face of this earth. I ALWAYS crave smores when we're "camping." My dad taste tested the year old smores stash and determined that it was no good. After I insisted that he did not have to go to the store and get smores stuff, he did. He would do anything in the world for me without hesitation! After we had a fresh smores stash to work with, we made smores on the oven burner which is kind of hard because it's easy to burn your marsh mellow which apparently isn't an issue since we all enjoy our marsh mellows as black as possible. After watching Funniest Home Videos we were on our way home...this time 20 to central expressway...haha!

We had such a lovely time "camping" today with my parents. It brought back great memories of when I was a child taking many hikes around the lake. It was just nice to finally have the BEST husband to take that walk with. I'm beginning to realize that the times in life I hesitate about going some where but do eventually go, turn out to be the greatest days!!! Thanks mom and dad for today, we really enjoyed it and look forward to another "camping" day with the two of you. I know Lillie also enjoyed the few days she spent with y'all camping. After all, that was her first home.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you all had fun in Tyler! Did you know that I'm from Tyler? That's my home town! I used to go to the Tyler State Park every week-end during the summer and sometimes we'd camp out there for a few days (the cabins were great....don't know if they're still there--haven't been in many years).

    ReplyDelete