Friday, March 13, 2009

Livin' in a Country Song

This week has probably been one of the worse weeks I have had in a while. In the grand scheme of things and in relation to other people's problems I know my problems are nothing, but still...

The other night when Morgan and I were saying our prayers it was his turn and this is what he said, "Dear Lord, Why? Why did our dishwasher decide to flood part of the kitchen? Why did our heater decide to quit working? Why did our electric blanket decide to quit working? Why?" I must say when these words came out of his mouth I couldn't help but smile and think to myself, "that sounds like a country song, all we need is for Lillie (our dog) to run off." Earlier in the week we were sitting here one night watching TV and thankfully for whatever reason, I got up and went in the kitchen. What did I find? A big pile of soap suds on our wood floors. I then screamed, don't ask me why I screamed because this was absolutely nothing to scream over, and Morgan came running in there. Now this is a new dish washer so this should not be an issue, right? But of course this is the week from hell so it decided to flood onto our wood floors. Not sure what was wrong. We cleaned up the soap suds, which isn't fun if you have ever had to do this because they don't really soak into a towel well. Morgan then some how fixed the dish washer. We haven't had any more problems since that night. Then on Wednesday when I woke up our house was like a refrigerator because when we went to bed the night before it was in the 70's outside so of course we had the AC on. I went to turn the heat back on and nope, not working. UGH! So I thought, okay, that sucks but at least we have our electric blanket and space heater tonight. We'll just shut all the doors to our bedroom and we will be fine. So that night I plug the electric blanket in around 2000 so our bed would be nice and toasty when it was bedtime. Finally it's bedtime and nope, bed nice and FREEZING! Again, UGH! Once again, Morgan some how knew what the issue was, fixed it, and we finally got a toasty bed. This is what lead to Morgan's sweet prayer. I say "sweet" because when he was saying it, he wasn't asking God in a hateful tone, but a very sweet, concerned voice. Which, by the way, I have heard people say that we should never ask God "Why" but I completely disagree. I think it is okay to ask God "Why" when something is happening or something is going wrong because that is part of our human nature.

These three events alone are not why I am saying this week has been miserable. Work has been CRAZY!!! JCAHO is here visiting. These are the people that give us our license to continue being a functioning hospital providing patient care so it is a really big deal. Whenever they come, oh my, it's always crazy. They expect us to know everything about EVERYTHING and it's just not possible!!! On top of them coming, we have had sooooooooo many deliveries and Gyn surgeries. Tuesday when I worked we had 21 deliveries. It was crazy! I love my job but some days are just exhausting, just like all jobs, but what makes our job extra exhausting is that it's not only physical or only mental, it's both. I've said this before, you better know how to manage a million balls in the air at one time without dropping a single one or you will drown. That's the only way to explain it. Also, you better have some GREAT co-workers that know the meaning of "team player" because it's inevitable, 3 of your patients will call at one time needing something. It never fails. Plus, my patients this week seem to be more sick and having more issues going on so that makes it more challenging. I like a challenge, but not when 4/5 have something going on. Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful that we are booming right now because there are so many people that are losing their jobs. I heard that our field of nursing is recession proof because people can't afford to go out to eat or to the movies so they just stay home and well, ya know what happens...haha!

I wrote this blog to tell those that think that my life is so smooth without any bumps, that there are bumps! I don't mind them, I just don't want every week to be like this week. The thing about weeks like this is that it really makes me appreciate every other week that is nice and calm and "vanilla" so to speak. It makes me extra appreciate my patients that just move on along exactly how they are supposed to without any complications.

OH, to top it off, I almost hit our neighbor's dog on the way home. It's a great big dog, same markings as Lillie. I think it's a Mastiff? Not sure. Anyway, he likes to think he's a hot shot and depending on his mood he will chase me as I drive by. Other days he just stares at me. Not tonight. He came darting out and how I didn't hit him I don't know. Now that really would have been the perfect ending to our "country song" type of week. Also, the reason why I am up right now is thanks to someone texting Morgan some stupid joke at midnight....waking me up!!! Yes, we will have a talk about this in the morning. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think you answered the "why", I'm sure God doesn't like being taken for granted and every once in a while He gives us challenges just so that we can appreciate how wonderful our lives are normally.

    KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is with the flooding this week?! I went down our hall Monday night looking for an unusual noise, only to discover it was the bathroom sink overflowing, flooding the bathroom, the hall and one of the bedrooms. We don't even use that bathroom I don't know how the stopper wound up down with the sink dripping, uhhh! Crappy week at my job too! Looking forward to starting over Sunday!

    ReplyDelete