Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES!!!

Since my past two blogs were not so much on the bright and sunny side of life, I figured I would tell you about my day today. Let's start with last night...

I was absolutely dreading going to work today based on my past two weeks. Absolutely dreading it. I think I would have rather gone and dug ditches all day than go to work. But I knew I had to go and there was no getting out of it. I was talking to my dad and I was telling him how I felt and that I didn't think I could survive another bad day. That I didn't want to start hating my job. I asked him (and I know he probably told my mom) to say a prayer for me and my work today that it would be a good day. I told him lately that I felt like either God was hearing my prayers and was just not answering them the way I wanted, or they, for whatever reason, weren't getting to Him...which I know isn't true. I know God's plan for our day/patients is not our plan but sometimes it's hard to acccept. Anyway, so my dad said he would pray for me and some how I got this refreshing feeling that it was all going to be okay. Again, I also prayed to God that He would bless me (and my coworkers) with a good day because I didn't want to start hating my job because I was starting to despise it...yes, 99.9% of the time I LOVE it, but that 1% can really do us in as nurses...that's why so many nurses give up after a year. I prayed that I would be a blessing to my patients and that they would be a blessing to me. I also prayed to God that I would acccept my assignment because I will know it's one that He picked out especially for me. I know this might sound nuts to those that aren't too religious, but it works for me. (Just so you know, assignments haven't always been handed out fairly lately.)

I get to work and praise God, we are REALLY staffed well which means we have 3-4 patients a piece. That's unheard of. Then I look at my assignment and I see I have a Gyn patient. A Gyn is usually a lady that has had a hysterectomy. You must know, you've got a 50-50 chance of these types being good patients. They either do everything perfect or everything exactly how you don't want them to do it. I thought to myself, "Dang! UGH!" But then I reminded myself that this was an assignment that God picked out especially for me so it was all going to be okay. Sure enough, my four patients did everything PERFECTLY! My Gyn patient was such a sweet heart and one of the best I have ever had. We had a great day together. Then I got a fresh c/s patient. Another fact you must know, these ladies will either have pain not controlled by the epidural alone, nausea/vomiting, or itching issues. Hallelujah, my lady had NONE of these. When I was receiving report on her the first thing out of the nurse's mouth was, "You will love this couple. They are so sweet, funny, and a joy to take care of." Praise God! They were the nicest couple and the husband had a great sense of humor. I have kind of a dry/sarcastic sense of humor and he totally got it. I am actually sad that I am not working tomorrow so I could take care of all of these wonderful patients I had today.

On top of it all, I also worked with some great girls. Lydia who keeps me laughing. I swear the two of us could talk allllllll day about the color of the sky. Stephanie is so calm and just something about her, when I work with her, it's always nice and peaceful. Then Christine who ALWAYS makes me laugh. Toni and her stories about her daughter, Emily, and how I get to relive my college years vicariously through her. So fun! BUT.....the best part is that we got to talk forever about DWTS and analyze ALL of the dancers. haha!

So, that was my "gift from above" type of day. I seriously believe and know that God knows what we need. He knows when we are about to reach our breaking point and will give us a break. You may completely disagree with everything I say, but it's what gets me through this crazy, lovely, fantastic, sometimes stressful life of mine. Like my friend Leigh-Taylor just told me (who I also asked to pray for me) "we need these type of days to make us want to come back." So true, LT! So True!!!

Plus, I am so thankful to have parents that I can call in an instant and ask for prayers. I know they have sheltered me through life and I wouldn't have it any other way. Like Lydia's quote today to her parents that goes something like this...NEVER STOP ENABLING ME FOR I WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT YOUR LOVE! I just love this quote. You can never love your kids too much!!!

2 comments:

  1. Laura--
    Thanks for sharing in your blog! I got a little teary! Now I can praise God, too, for such a great day for you! It's so great that you all got to talk and bond! That makes the really hard days better b/c you know people will have your back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read that after and CRAZY few weeks at work...I'll have to remember my "assignment"...

    ReplyDelete