Thursday, March 19, 2009

K-I-N-D-N-E-S-S

  • Today I decided that I would skip the gym and workout outside instead because it is such a beautiful day. I had my MP3 player to listen to music but I still got a little bored. You would think Jake, the neighbor's dog, barking at me every time I walk by would be entertainment enough. No, I needed something else to do. So I decided that every time a car drives by, I would initiate the friendly wave. I was thinking to myself and trying to figure out why are we so weird about waving at complete strangers. So I decided I would see how many people would wave back. ( I know, this sounds silly, but it entertains me...and Jake who likes to bark at the cars.) I would say maybe 10 cars went by and I have to subtract my father in law and Nannie because they don't count. They HAVE to wave at me, haha! I can say, everyone waved back, even the passengers in the car. A couple of times I was disappointed because they waved first. Okay, not really disappointed but I wanted to wave first.

    As I was walking I got to thinking lately about efforts I have been trying to make when I come across people. It all started because I have patients and families at work that say to me, "Are you coming back tomorrow? I want you to be my nurse. You are a good nurse are good at your job. etc." No, definitely not bragging on myself but I have to tell you this to tell you why I have started doing what I do. I was thinking, "Man, I like when my patients tell me these things. It makes me feel good and gives me hope in what I am doing. It's nice to feel appreciated."

    What I have been doing is that when I go to a store, mainly Target because that's where I go the most, and the cashier is really good at his/her job, I will tell them, "Thank you so much. You are really good and fast at your job. I appreciate it." You should see his/her face. They are shocked and smile and say thank you. That has to be such a thankless job. Dealing with people who really don't want to be standing in line to spend money on groceries? Ya know? I'm sure they don't come across the most friendly people in the world. I've heard once that if you are thinking something nice about someone, you should tell them. None of us receive enough compliments in this life and we all know how compliments make us feel better. I don't only do this at Target. I tan so I see the same girls all the time. If a girl cuts or colors her hair and I really like it, I tell her. Her face lights up and I can tell she really appreciates a stranger noticing something like this on her. I also do this with co-workers. If they have on a cute pair of scrubs, different hair style, etc. I say something and compliment them.

    I'm only saying all of this because I think it's something we should all be doing. I challenge everyone that reads this to start complimenting those you come in contact with in your life and see how it blesses you. You can start a domino effect and maybe this world will be a happier place. Being kind to one person may cause them to be kinder to many more. At the very least, you made someone smile.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with youuu :) and this world definately could use a few more of the nicer peopleee! have you started going to water aerobics with old ones yet? :) HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've heard of "kick the dog", where the boss says something mean to you, you say something mean to your spouse, your spouse says something mean to the kid and the kid "kicks the dog". So just like the movie, "Pay it forward" doing something nice generates niceness to others - it's a great concept that does work. KH
    PS I love waving at people

    ReplyDelete