Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Facebook & Myspace

I am beginning to think Facebook and Myspace are an evil part of my life. Here lately, I feel like they are consuming way too much of my time. How do I know? The other day Morgan told me that I should have married the computer. That just made me really sad. Then today I read my friend Cassie's blog and she was suggesting the same thing and that she was giving it up for "lent" even though our religion doesn't do that. I thought that was pretty neat of her to do. This Myspace and Facebook is almost like a sick addiction. What's everyone doing? What's the latest status on everyone? What's everyone's mood? If I go work out, go to Target, go eat with Morgan, I always feel like I have to check both of these sites when I get home. Afraid I am going to miss something. I know I am not the only one that feels this way because some of my friends and I have talked about it. Why is this? For me, I feel like I get to connect with my friends more, especially through Facebook. I'm really starting to enjoy Facebook more than Myspace because more of my friends seem to be on there and plus, it is just easier to talk to people. The only problem is, the relationship that means the absolute most to me in the entire world is starting to suffer. I am only admitting what I am about to say to prove my point and maybe wake up someone else who also has this issue...

Yesterday I worked which means I leave the house at 0540 and get home at 2000. That's a long day and a looong time to be away from Morgan. What did I do when I got home? I ate dinner and then checked my email because my cell phone told me that I had an email from my dad. My dad and I email almost every night and I really enjoy it. That's where it should have stopped, but it didn't. Of course I had to check my Facebook and Myspace. I some how got sucked into Facebook by some of my friends when we all got into a conversation. Who should I have been conversing with? Morgan, the love of my life. Was I? No. He was laying on the couch watching TV and I was sitting in bed. To top it off, my friend Lydia and I were texting on our cell phones...after I had just spent 12 hours at work with her. I ended up going to bed at 2145. I woke up at 0130 and Morgan was still in the living room asleep on the couch with the lights and TV on. No, this is not a typical night for us, but it is a night that really opened my eyes! IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS WAY!!! So, from now on to all my friends that I love talking to and keeping up with through Myspace but mainly Facebook, I am going to stay off of it at night when Morgan comes home. I don't want to ruin our relationship over Myspace and Facebook.

Now that I have typed all of this, I am wondering if there should be a self help group for all of us addicted to Facebook and Myspace. I think these sites are wonderful for bringing old friends together and keeping up with everyone, but there comes a point when it's a problem. I've reached that point and am not afraid to admit it! But I am not just admitting it, I am DOING something about it. Get ready Morgan, you are about to get a whole lot of Laura back in your life...haha!!! You spoil me and treat me like a princess and deserve my attention!!!!! I love you tons, Morgan!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very good! I recently tried "Facebook" and it is neat to chat with people that I had lost touch with - but I would much rather talk in person to the people that I haven't lost touch with - yet - but that I could lose touch with if I continue to ignore them so I can chat with people that I haven't thought about for 30 years.
    KH

    ReplyDelete