Thursday, November 12, 2009

Wedding Dresses for a Greater Cause!!!!

A few weeks ago I was required by work to go to a class that talks about the death of a baby. It was to educate us on how to assist couples who are dealing with the loss of their infants. I was dreading going to this class. I really didn't see the reason why we (as in post partum) had to go because we don't get these types of patients on our floor. It would be really cruel to send them to a post partum floor where they would see mothers pushing their infants in the hall or hear a baby crying as it is wheeled past her door. These patients typically stay in L&D or go to the antipartum floor. But, just in case we ever do get these patients for whatever reason, we were required to go.

One thing that was discussed in this class was www.marymadelineproject.org. I'm going to quote the website, "It is very difficult to shop for a baby burial garment when a baby dies. For premature babies, it is often difficult to find something small enough. The baby burial gowns and blankets are given to Neonatal Intensive Care Units for babies who die in the neonatal period. They are also given to labor and delivery units for stillbirths." What they do is collect wedding dresses and then make little garments for these precious babies. We each got to see first hand these BEAUTIFUL dresses made from wedding gowns for these precious little infants. I believe they make little tops for the boys as well. I didn't even know something like this existed. What a gift to the parents in their time of great sorrow to see that their little angel from above is dressed in such a beautiful piece of clothing. I was in awe that someone thought to do this for these babies and for their parents.

Our hospital is working on having a "dress" drive for this project. I really want to donate my wedding dress. I don't ever plan on wearing it again. To be honest, I am not that sentimental of a person so why do I need to hang on to it when it can go to a greater cause?!? I haven't even seen my dress since the day I got married. I believe it's still at my parents house. I looooved my wedding dress!! It was my favorite thing about our wedding. I can just see it being used for something greater and what beautiful little dresses it will make for some sweet babies. I hope you understand, Mom. I know you will. :) If anyone is interested in donating a wedding dress, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a sweet idea. Unfortunately, I am sentimental, so your wedding dress went straight from the cleaners to my closet where I see it hanging every day. But when the time comes for you to take it away for a much better cause than hanging in my closet, I'll look the other way and try not to let you see my cry!!! Picturing sweet little babies dressed in that lovely fabric really warms my heart. I'm really proud of you for your decision....Mom

    ReplyDelete