Monday, January 19, 2009

How The Sweetest Cowboy & The City Girl Met


Morgan and I get asked quite frequently how we met because we are so different. Morgan was born and raised in the country. Grew up showing cattle, riding horses, and having his life revolve around animals. Me, on the other hand, used to be absolutely terrified of cows. I know that sounds crazy, but it seriously freaked me out to just drive by them. I was born and raised in the city so I wasn't around too many cows. I was used to horses because I used to go to some kind of horse camp for two weeks in the summer and learn how to groom them, etc. If you were to tell me that I would marry a Cowboy, I would have never believed it. Although, honestly, I have always thought cowboys were handsome in their boots, hats, and those cute jeans...haha. It seems like Cowboys have always had good manners and seem to treat a lady right. I had just never really dated a "true cowboy" before so I didn't know this way of life. But, I can say it's great! I'm no longer afraid of cows. Just yesterday I was out there with the guys while they were working the cows. I was 2 feet away from them at times with them running straight at me and I never flinched or even thought of getting scared. I've come a loooooooong way since meeting my sweet cowboy. He's been so patient with me!!!
Okay, so how we met...
My cousin, Theresa, had been wanting to set me up with Morgan for a LONG time. (Theresa is married to Shawn, who used to work with Morgan in McKinney). I would have to say for over a year, but I always told her no. I wasn't interested. I had just gotten out of a serious relationship and didn't want to date anyone at the time. I needed time to myself and the thought of dating again annoyed me. I just wanted to be with me, myself, and I. :) I finally got to where I started dating again. Went out with several guys but none of them were what I was looking for. I actually had a really good friend, named Scott, that I hung out with a lot and I really didn't feel the need to have a "boyfriend" in my life. Scott and I would go to lunch, movies, even go out on the weekends but it was absolutely NEVER a date!!! I seriously believe God put us in each others lives for a reason. We were meant to be friends and nothing more. He had just lost his mom 2 months before we started hanging out and I was mending a broken heart. I know it sounds odd, but it was a great friendship. Anyway, so I wasn't really into dating.
In October 2006, I had to have a hernia repair. (Note to everyone, make sure you don't cough too hard when you have a sinus infection.) I was off work for 3 weeks and was getting bored. Theresa called me up one night...and again...was telling me how Morgan wanted to meet me and was asking for my number. I know this sounds bad, but I was tired of being so bored so I finally told her to give him my number. He called me that night and I think we talked for 3 hours. It was a Wednesday night. After that, we talked every night for 2-3 hours. You must know something, neither of us like talking on the phone. Actually, we both HATE talking on the phone so the fact that I could talk to him this long was telling me something. Plus, he's got the cutest accent so that made me want to talk to him even more. What's funny, now that I am married to Morgan, I am AMAZED that he talked that much to me. He's actually really quiet, even now he's a man of few words. He's a smart man, but just doesn't talk much.
So that Sunday, we decided he would drive down and we would go to lunch. At the time, I lived in southwest Fort Worth and he lived north of McKinney. We were at complete opposite ends of the metroplex...ugh! When Morgan got down to my apt and knocked on the door I was so nervous. We had no clue what each other looked like. So I opened the door and I'm not kidding when I say this...my first thought was, "This is the man I am going to marry." No, it wasn't love or lust at first sight. He just looked so darn cute and had the sweetest smile on his face and I just knew. So we went out and had a great time. THEN...I didn't hear for him for a week. I was a little frustrated. I sent him a text and said something to the fact that I was done with this, that I didn't understand what happened, but I was over it. Sorry, I didn't have time to play stupid games. He called me that night and we talked. He explained that the distance was freaking him out. He wanted to date me but he didn't know how we could ever work out the distance issue. We decided to give it a try and thankfully we did!!! But, actually, I ended up breaking up with him for about 5 days about 8 months into our relationship because I freaked out about the distance. It's amazing we ever got married with this distance issue...haha! It was then his turn to explain to me why it wasn't a big deal and it worked! We've now been married for 8 months!!! Looking back, since I only work 3 days a week, the distance thing was never really that big of an issue.
So that's how the Sweetest Cowboy and the City Girl met. Morgan is the sweetest man! I am so thankful that I was bored on that Wednesday night in October and told my cousin to give him my number!!! God works in mysterious and amazing ways!!!! I thank God every day that I have been blessed to marry a man that not only treats me like a lady, but let's me know daily that I am the center of his world...as he is mine!!!

2 comments:

  1. You know what they say, God works in mysterious ways. It's just kind of sad that you had to have surgery and get sooo bored, before you would take a chance on meeting a nice guy, but it's a good thing you did. I am so happy that you are happy, you deserve to be.

    KH

    ReplyDelete