Thursday, February 18, 2010

"Snow Day" through the Eyes of a Nurse

So I am a little delayed in posting this. I've worked the last 5 out of 7 days so this is the first time I have had the time to sit down and blog about my lovely experience. It probably won't be as uplifting and happy as most, but I will try. Being a nurse really screws these days up for me sometimes. Seems like I get stuck having to work these days frequently. As I was eating lunch Thursday in the break room and watching the scroll on the bottom of the TV that was listing school/work closings, I said to one of my friends, "Wouldn't it be great to see our hospital's name on that list?!?" We had a good laugh about it knowing it will NEVER happen!! The week before this week of snow I was off for 7 days. Could it snow then? No!! Then I am off this Thursday and Friday, the week after the snow. Could it snow then? No!! It had to snow crazy on the two days I had to work. :( This bums me out for several reasons. During the time I just thought it was one reason, that being that I had to spend the night at the hospital. Seriously have no clue how these ladies can sleep on these beds for 4 nights. That's how long our c/s patients can stay and most do. There were about 18 of us that spent the night at work on Thursday so we wouldn't have to drive in on Friday. Those on my floor decided that it must be easy for our patients to tolerate those beds when you're receiving Percocet & Percodan every 3 hours. We decided if we were going to have to stay on those beds, we should get access to those lovely meds too. HaHa! NO, WE DIDN'T for anyone thinking we did!!! I had several people offer me a place to stay Thursday night that live close to work. I didn't take any of them up on it because they kept saying "ice" in the morning. I told Lydia next time I am spending the night with her and that better always be an open invitation!!! :) With that said, I am thankful to work where there is an option to spend the night and not risk the treacherous drive in. While I was bummed that I was missing all of the snow back at home, that next morning was absolutely beautiful. I was able to get a "bird's eye view" of the surrounding area around the hospital. I work on the 4th floor. If you know or have seen where I work, you know it's in a rich city and surrounded by beautiful homes. I think I looked out the window around 0730 that Friday morning. It felt like Christmas morning to me as a kid. It was absolutely breath taking to look down on all of the trees and beautiful homes and see all of that snow blanketing everything. It was so peaceful because there was not a car in sight since it was so early in the morning. It was like I was getting a sneak peek at everything before the rest of the city woke up. As far as you could see it was white. I also worked Thursday and seeing all of the snow falling down and beginning to coat everything was also pretty. The drive into work Thursday morning was "fun." I had never seen that much snow fall at one time!!! It was so heavy it was hard to see where I was going. I can't even describe it. If you were driving to work around 0600 then you know what I am talking about. So Beautiful!!!

Friday was a long day for us nurses. We were a little sleep deprived. It's hard sleeping on the floor your work on and then getting up, walking out of your room, and back to work you go. Our hospital was kind enough to give us a meal voucher for spending the night. I went down to the cafeteria to get breakfast. The grill guy (I should really learn his name because he always says, 'Hi, Laura' and is so nice!!) asked me how my drive to work was. I told him I spent the night so I didn't have to experience any driving. Well I had ordered pancakes and he was sweet enough to turn them into Mickey Mouse pancakes to make me smile. I really do work with some fantabulous people from the kitchen, to house keeping, to nurses, to our boss, etc. Anyway, by the time 1900 rolled around I was beyond ready to go home. I slept like a baby that night! Had never been so happy to see our king size bed and body pillows.

So I was praying that there would still be snow Saturday morning at home so I could get a glimpse of what it looked like at home. Morgan took some pictures on Thursday afternoon and Friday but they are on his iPhone so I don't know how to upload them. Everything had snow...trees, driveway, his truck, etc. It was so pretty. I must say, I was pretty bummed after looking at every one's pics on Facebook of them and their families in the snow. Would have loved to have had the opportunity to build a snowman with Morgan and even engage in a snowball fight...I am sure I would've won!! Oh well!! These pics are taken on Saturday, two days after the snow had fallen.


This is my artistic work, lol!! For some reason I thought it would be a grand idea to walk out there in cotton shorts, t-shirt, and a robe to take pics. Guess I was still tired from working and the lack of sleep I had which lead me to make such a poor decision. Otherwise, I would've put more energy into making this look a little nicer. ;)


This picture was taken off of our back porch.


So pretty! You can see Charlie, our horse, and our neighbor's pond in the background.



Our driveway...I know y'all were just dying to see what it looked like. HAHA!!



Morgan and Me in the snow. We really need to teach Lillie to be our photographer so we can get a decent picture of the two of us in cases like this. ;)



I was a little cold!!

He was really thrilled I was making him stand out there for this picture!!


Benefits of living in the country...tons of farm land covered in beautiful snow.


You also see this a lot...hay bails being driven down the road.
So that was my lovely experience. What a gift from God that snow was!!! Maybe we won't have to wait another 30 years to see that beautiful snow again!! And HOPEFULLY I won't have to work those days next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







1 comment:

  1. Luckily my boss let me stay home Friday with all the snow (7½ inches of snow), in a very small way it reminded me of when I lived up North (Maine then Canada). It is definitely beautiful to look at and play in, but if I have to go out then I'd rather have warm weather!

    KH

    ReplyDelete